Neighbourhood Link - Christmas Shopping Advice
Its that time of year again when lots of people are out doing their Christmas shopping. Please be assured we are working hard over Christmas to keep you and your family safe.
Can I ask that you take some steps to help us:
When you're out shopping
1. Stay alert and be aware of what's going on around you, especially in busy shops and crowded streets where thieves and pick pockets may well be operating.
2. Keep valuables in inside pockets of clothing or bags. Keep a close watch on them and try not to keep them all in one place.
3. Only carry the cash and cards that you need. Always ensure you are shielding the PIN pad when you are entering your PIN.
4. Be careful when you park your car, especially if you will be returning after dark. If parking in a multi storey car park, choose a well-lit space as close to the exit as possible and away from pillars. Reverse into the position. Visit www.parkmark.co.uk for details of approved car parks.
5. Avoid going back to your car to leave your shopping part-way through your shopping trip. If you have to keep presents in the car, make sure they are out of view in the boot , the car is locked and keep the receipts with you.
6. Deter pickpockets and muggers. Don't overburden yourself with bags/packages. Be extra careful with purses and wallets. Always carry a purse close to your body and not dangling by the straps. Put a wallet in an inside coat or front trouser pocket, likewise with your phone and keys.
7. Try and avoid taking young children into busy shopping areas. If it is unavoidable make sure they know what to do if they lose you e.g. tell the nearest counter assistant they are lost and never leave the shop without you. Agree a meeting point with older children in case you get separated.
8. Never leave your bag unattended on your trolley whilst shopping and don't leave it in your vehicle when returning your trolley.
9. Don't get loaded down with too many bags. Try to keep one hand free.
10. Keep car doors locked whilst driving in built-up areas especially if you've got bags or presents in the car.
Enjoy yourselves shopping but please stay alert
Michelle and Courtney
Message Sent By
Michelle Skingsley (Police, PC, Harborough and Wigston NPA)
Posted: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 09:59 by Broughton Astley Parish Council Admin.